[Lazarus] lazarus debug with gdb [Re: [fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Sep 13 16:34:33 CEST 2011

On 13/09/2011 13:12, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 23:18 +0100, Martin wrote:
>> On 12/09/2011 22:51, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> However, I still recommend trunk =>  a lot of fixes have been applied.
>>
>> Known issues are :
>> - strings 0 versus 1 based (I do hope to test with dwarf3 soon, but no
>> idea yet, if it will help...)
> I didn't check if it works in (plain) gdb 7.3 yet, but it should work.
Yeah I have to catch up with 7.3

>> - dyn array, element access in deeply nested pascal expression (simple
>> cases are normally handled)
> Same as above: works, but maybe not in gdb 7.3 yet.
with old dwarf, I think one needs to write

SomeDynArray^[1]

where in pascal no "^" would be present. The Lazarus IDE fixes that, but
currently only in simple cases => It requires to read extra info from
gdb, and that is slow.
So in order to fix it in complex expression (and only if needed) I need
better detection, that only does the extra work if really required

I have to double check so, if that is really always true...

I have an app that generates a CSV that I can improt in excel to see a
table of how different gdb with diff fpc and diff symboltypes work.

>> - dyn array: not possible to see the entire list.
> Eh? this one is new for me? What do you mean?

I think (at least in many cases)  (not at all tested with dwarf 3)

-data-evaluate-expression SomeDynArray
  simply give s the pointer, instead of "(1, 3, 8,2,9)"

for normal arrays, you sometimes get the value list.

Again, i need to catch up on all of that.