[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:55:48 CEST 2011

Am 13.09.2011 15:26, schrieb Martin:

> Given that there seems no alternative to gdb yet, and given that your
> code can under no circumstances be debugged using gdb => I must say, I
> have a huge amount of respect for your archivment of implementing fpgui
> without using any debugging at all. WOW. (scnr :) )

I once wrote to Graeme:
"
I absolutely can't imagine how you can productively
develop fpGUI without excessive use of the integrated debug facilities
of your IDE.
" :-)
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.mseide.user/18768/focus=18780

>> And yes the "inspecting properties could change data" is a moot point.
>> Delphi allows it, and NOBODY complains about the possible data change
>> issue. The pros far outweigh the cons. We are programmers, we should
>> know what is "dangerous" or not - but it should be our choice to use
>> such "dangerous" features.
> I am not avoiding the feature because of it;'s potential dangers.
> If the feature was do-able => fine.
>
> I just say from my personal experience, I can live without it, but that
> may just be me.

Me too. Anybody seems to use the "f" field naming convention so most
simple properties can be watched by prepending the property name by "f".
If there are complex getters i need to see into the getter function to
check what's going on anyway.

> And I am saying, if properties are the only problem => then the
> situation certainly is not as bad as some people say.

Agreed.

> But I begin to see, that on some installations further problems exist,
> that add to it. Those problems should not exist => as they are working
> already on other systems (like mine)

And mine.

Martin