[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Sep 13 21:33:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Sven Barth wrote:

> On 13.09.2011 14:07, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> And yes the "inspecting properties could change data" is a moot point.
>> Delphi allows it, and NOBODY complains about the possible data change
>> issue. The pros far outweigh the cons. We are programmers, we should
>> know what is "dangerous" or not - but it should be our choice to use
>> such "dangerous" features.
>
> Just as a sidenote: If I remember correctly Delphi doesn't allow you to
> inspect all getters. Once they are too complex it will display that the value
> can't be displayed.
> When I've done my bachelor thesis (this Thursday) I'll play around in my
> Delphi XE a bit to see whether I can pinpoint such situations. Perhaps Delphi
> is marking the getters as "pure" if there are no sideeffects (e.g.
> assignments besides Result, calls of non pure functions/methods etc.)

As far as I can make out:

If it is a field, then it will display the value at once in the debug inspector.
If it is not a field (and so a procedure), then the '?' button appears, and you
must click it to get a value, regardless of the 'complexity'.

If you put an entry in the watch window, it is always evaluated.

Michael.