[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Sep 15 19:21:32 CEST 2011

On 15/09/2011 18:00, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 23:28 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> better than with Delphi. That's because when you're debugging on Delphi,
>>> the IDE is scaled down to the feature-level of Notepad.
>> Normal code navigation (Ctrl+Click) in Delphi 7 [only Delphi I
>> currently have available] is indeed disabled while debugging, but that
>> was substituted for another debug function. Ctrl+Click while in
>> debugging mode allows you to quickly view the debug data, data type
>> etc., and _allow you to modify_ the value if needed.
> Ah, that's probably also why they disabled code-completion during
> debugging. Not being able to write code while debugging is a feature!

That means the way they implemented their feature is extremely inconsistent:

1) in Delphi you are not supposed to edit source wile debugging
2) If inserting lines, in source while debugging (like in Lazarus)
Delphi keeps track of line positions, so the execution mark is still
shown at the correct code (despite the new line number)
I must wonder why a company creating a commercial product, wastes time
and money on the 2nd point, if no one will eve benefit from it?

--
This email is somewhere between extremely serious and extreme mockery