[Lazarus] Removed use of UTF8String in Lazarus to work with cpstrnew

cobines cobines at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:06:37 CEST 2011

2011/9/19 Paul Ishenin <webpirat at mail.ru>:
> Lazarus must use either UTF8String everywhere or nowhere.
I thought that Lazarus will continue to use UTF-8 on all platforms and
String will mean String<65001> and it will be interchangeable with
UTF8String. Is that not so?

Why change UTF8String to AnsiString and not String, like almost every
other string parameter?

Why not apply the same to AnsiString and change all to String since
Lazarus does not work with Ansi code pages anyway?

For example, if UTF8ToUTF16 was left to accept UTF8String I would
think it would force the parameter to have UTF-8 code page, which
would be more correct. And this is what I don't understand, how will
it break when UTF8String is left.

> I don't know how you use it.
To remind developer that a function uses UTF-8 not Ansi so he needs to
call SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys or similar. All strings in Lazarus are UTF-8
anyway so this is only for show.

--
cobines