[Lazarus] Removed use of UTF8String in Lazarus to work with cpstrnew

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:48:31 CEST 2011

Am 19.09.2011 14:47, schrieb Michael Schnell:
> On 09/18/2011 04:22 PM, cobines wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Yesterday there was a commit:
>>
>> http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&root=lazarus&revision=32374
>>

>> "don't use UTF8String type in the code. It will cause problems when
>> cpstrenew branch is merged"
>>

>> What problems could it cause, is it because Lazarus currently uses
>> AnsiString as UTF8?
> I don't suppose Lazarus can work with a cpstrnew version of FPC at all.
>
> Supposedly moving Lazarus to cpstrnew will be a lot of work.

Work that needs to be done sooner than later, because cpstrnew was
merged at the weekend (though it doesn't seem to be THAT much work to
get Lazarus back in running shape; using the new feature is a different
topic though).

> I suppose you can compile FPC in a way that does not provide cpstrnew.

The only way I'm aware of: Use a revision of FPC before the merge.

Regards,
Sven