[Lazarus] Removed use of UTF8String in Lazarus to work with cpstrnew

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Sep 20 09:31:59 CEST 2011

On 09/19/2011 06:35 PM, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:
> On 19/9/2011 09:47, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> I don't suppose Lazarus can work with a cpstrnew version of FPC at all.
>>
>> Supposedly moving Lazarus to cpstrnew will be a lot of work.
>

> Not at all. Since fpc will provide two rtl (UTF8 and UTF16) Lazarus
> should work without much changes with the UTF8 RTL. Changing to a
> UTF16 RTL (if desired) would in fact be harder, but also not much
> after the transition to UTF8.

To be a decent New-String Unicode library, the LCL should use the
New-String Type everywhere (supposedly in the source using some
dedicated "LazarusString" Type that is an alias for the compiler's
New-String Type) and drop any use of old style strings wherever possible
(supposedly everywhere but at the lines directly interfacing the OS'es
API).

Seems like a huge task to me.

-Michael