[Lazarus] SynEdit.Lines.LoadFromFile and non-ascii filenames

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:26:18 CEST 2011

When I control-clicked on TSynEdit.Lines.LoadFromFile() I ended up in
TSrings.LoadFromFile, which does
TFileStream.Create(FileName,fmOpenRead or fmShareDenyWrite).
I also ended up here when control-clicking on TMemo.Lines.LoadFromFile.

So I did not really understand why it worked different.

Coming form Delphi(3) on Win9x, I still cannot get to grips with all
this Unicode string stuff.
It would be nice if RTL and LCL would speak the same
"string-encoding-language", or at least it would be transparent to the
programmer.

That being said, it is not meant as critisizing Fpc/Lazarus.
Current Lazarus/Fpc outperforms my old Delphi 3 by far.
(Only the D3 compiler is much faster)
I now only use Delphi for comaparing Laz vs. Delphi behaviour if I
suspect a bug in Laz.

Bart