[Lazarus] Lazarus crashing reproducibly on startup (64-bit Linux)

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Sun Apr 1 22:23:22 CEST 2012

On 03/31/2012 02:50 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:45:53 -0400
> brian<brian at meadows.pair.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/31/2012 07:18 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>>> I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition 64bit in virtualbox. And Lazarus
>>> 0.9.31 does not crash here.
>>>

>> And you're running on an AMD CPU?
>
> Yes.
> AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
>

>> In that case, I'm absolutely baffled, because I've done nothing more
>> than install LMDE, get any upgrades, and try to install and run
>> Lazarus. Which version did you try installing first, the one from the
>> LMDE repos? If it's possible that you need to install the latest
>> version and no other, then that might explain it.
>
> I downloaded the ISO,
> then did an upgrade,
> then installed the package "lazarus" and subversion to get the
> development packages,
> then uninstalled lazarus, keeping the rest,
> then installed fpc 2.6.0 from zip,
> then downloaded fpc svn trunk, compiled, installed
> then downloaded lazarus svn trunk, compiled, started
> then \O/

Thank you for the attempts to help, Matthias, but having followed your
procedures above, I still get an error 203 when trying to run lazarus
from the build directory. If I try to run startlazarus, then I get
nothing unless I run under GDB, when I get the error 203.

To be frank, I've had a bellyfull of this. I'm going to cut my losses
and reinstall plain old Debian. That ran Lazarus without the slightest
problems.

Brian.