[Lazarus] make clean all fails...

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Apr 3 04:36:23 CEST 2012

On 4/2/2012 18:21, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:25:10 -0400
> waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Compiling restrictionbrowser.pas
>> Compiling projectwizarddlg.pas
>> Compiling resource ..\units\i386-win32\win32\lazarus.or
>> Linking ..\lazarus.exe
>> lazarus.pp(133,1) Error: Can't create object file: ..\lazarus.exe
>
> Check if you have a Lazarus running.
> Windows locks exe files while they are executed.

funny thing, that... i didn't have any running (that i knew of) and renamed the
lazarus.exe, lazarus.new.exe and lazarus.old.exe files... that all went just
fine... after that, i got a shiny new lazarus.exe (don't know what profile it
was) plus the script generated a nice shiny new lazarus.new.exe...

then i had problems with my email getting out to my internal smtp server so i
rebooted this workstation only to have it ask me to force close a lazarus task
with a project1 loaded... there should not have been one since the last time i
fired up lazarus on this box was maybe a week or two ago... i've been
concentrating on getting the external build stuff going and have steadfastly
refused to fire up lazarus.exe until we got a good build...

[...]
>> i don't know why it cannot overwrite C:\freepascal\laz\lazarus.exe... and
>> actually, is it supposed to be compiling lazarus after a svn update when we
>> haven't yet specifically (re)built lazbuild which is the next step in the script
>> i've been working on? after that, we do the lazbuild command thing to actually
>> build lazarus... i'm kinda confused :?
>
> "make all" builds a default IDE.

ahhh... "default" has a different meaning in this case? not the same "default"
as the lazbuild (or profiles??) default??

>> stripping all the fancy out, here's my script in its rawest form and a few
>> questions...
>>
>> 1. "cleanbigide" before svn update and again building lazbuild?
>
> "make clean" is enough. cleanbigide now simply executes clean.

for both before the svnupdate and when building lazbuild??

>> 2. is "clean all" really needed after the svn update in this script?
>
> Yes, if it should be stable.
> No, if you want the optimal way, that means building only those things
> you need.

hummm... i was thinking about asking if there was something like maybe "make
tools" that would only build the tools instead of also trying to build
lazarus... the way my script is written, it doesn't make sense to build lazarus
and then turn around and build it again... what am i missing?