[Lazarus] make clean all fails...

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Apr 3 10:06:44 CEST 2012

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:36:23 -0400
waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:

>[...]
> >> i don't know why it cannot overwrite C:\freepascal\laz\lazarus.exe... and
> >> actually, is it supposed to be compiling lazarus after a svn update when we
> >> haven't yet specifically (re)built lazbuild which is the next step in the script
> >> i've been working on? after that, we do the lazbuild command thing to actually
> >> build lazarus... i'm kinda confused :?
> >
> > "make all" builds a default IDE.
>
> ahhh... "default" has a different meaning in this case? not the same "default"
> as the lazbuild (or profiles??) default??

Yes, there is the default IDE and the default profile.
Your default profile includes your installed packages so it may fail.
"make clean all" builds a default IDE. This way users have a simple way
to get a working IDE.

> >> stripping all the fancy out, here's my script in its rawest form and a few
> >> questions...
> >>
> >> 1. "cleanbigide" before svn update and again building lazbuild?
> >
> > "make clean" is enough. cleanbigide now simply executes clean.
>
> for both before the svnupdate and when building lazbuild??

Once is enough.

> >> 2. is "clean all" really needed after the svn update in this script?
> >
> > Yes, if it should be stable.
> > No, if you want the optimal way, that means building only those things
> > you need.
>
> hummm... i was thinking about asking if there was something like maybe "make
> tools" that would only build the tools instead of also trying to build
> lazarus... the way my script is written, it doesn't make sense to build lazarus
> and then turn around and build it again... what am i missing?

Yes, "make all" calls "make tools". And "make starter" and some more.
And maybe we have to add a further item.
You have the choice to use the simple but somewhat inefficient "make
all" or you can hand craft your own command, but then you have to
follow the development of the Makefiles.

Mattias