[Lazarus] SetEnv on Linux 64bit

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Apr 3 22:54:24 CEST 2012

On 4/3/2012 09:57, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, fred f wrote:
>> I need to set up LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 on Ubuntu 64bit, but there LIBC is not
>> supported and therefore I am looking for SetEnv which I can use on 64bit Linux.
>>
>> SysUtils contains only GetEnvironmentVariable, but not Set...
>
> That's not how it works on Unix/Linux.
>
> You must always set up environment variables before a program starts.
> When starting a process, the environment for that process is started and is
> then immutable for the duration of the process.

ewww... so no "fancy" capabilities like we could do in the old DOS days where we
could change the base environment as well as cloning it with changes for child
processes??? if so, that's blows several of my porting projects up :? :(

> What you can do is execute the same binary again, but with the environment
> variable added to the environment of the new process.

so, like the cloning process i mention above? that would have two copies of the
app in memory at once, right?