[Lazarus] Strange dependency of units

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Apr 4 10:30:40 CEST 2012

On 04/03/2012 04:26 PM, Bart wrote:
> I have learned over the past years, that it makes sense to use
> sepreate units (or ifdef them) for GUI (and thus possibly widgetset)
> related code and "pure pascal" (as in: non-GUI non-LCL).

The "separating GUI and business code" paradigm is under permanent
discussion in the software industry since years.

Separation is very advantages for large and/or "professional" projects.

But it contradicts the idea of "RAD" (Rapid Application Development)
that initially drove the invention of Delphi.

Same is very useful for projects dedicated to starting,
learning/teaching, prototyping, testing Pascal code, testing attached
devices, staying small, etc. IMHO this is true by far the most projects
ever started.

Very unfortunately many 3rd party products available for free or payed
don't adhere to the "separating GUI and business code" paradigm.

Unfortunately many projects start "small" and at some point get so "big"
that separating GUI and business code  would be appropriate, but with an
advanced project, the effort is a lot harder to do.

This is especially true if it it turns out that the final product needs
to be used as a service/daemon.

Here the upcoming "Custom Drawn" Widget set some day might help to allow
for some kind of "GUI remoting", and by simply switching the Lazarus
Widget Type the GUI can be cut off.

-Michael