[Lazarus] fpdocmanager questions & crash

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:08:32 CEST 2012

On 5-4-2012 14:21, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Reinier Olislagers schrieb:
>> Otherwise, you can test if it's in the compiler binary path,
>> <fpcdir>\bin\<architecture>, e.g.
>> c:\development\fpctrunk\bin\i386-win32\make.exe fpdoc is in
>> <fpcdir>\utils\fpdoc\fpdoc.exe (or in the compiler binary path, see
>> above)
>
> All my FPC/Lazarus stuff resides on D:, not on C:.
E.g. means exempli gratia, for example.

> This doesn't help when the Path is not set up as required.
If you don't have a make.exe in your path or fpc bin directory... well,
you can always make the make path configurable for the user (instead of
having him run make himself)...

Alternatively, just tell the user to put make.exe in
the bin dir.... should still be more user friendly than having him hunt
down the proper path for make, start a console session, run make with
that path and rtl.chk etc.

Or tell users to set up the path as required before starting
fpdocmanager... not my preferred solution but would be possible.

See e.g. fpcup for a way on how to detect existing make.exe, including
Delphi make.

I think limiting the number of manual steps a user should go through
just to start a tool makes a lot of sense - especially if these steps
can be automated for almost 100% (and error handling with proper
messages can do the rest).
That's why I liked your config wizard so much in general.

> The FPDocManager has fpdoc built-in, but this doesn't help when the
> Makefile wants to call a stand-alone fpdoc.
See before for location of fpdoc in the FPC tree.

> Again: feel free to provide an patch or a stand-alone tool, that
> allows to create an fpdoc commandline or project for the RTL and FCL,
> on every machine.
No thanks, I think I'll stick with the existing fpdoc tools:
1. FPDocmanager is not cross platform
2. FPdocmanager requires manually setting unit paths and recompiling
3. As you mentioned, it doesn't support an FPCDocs directory separate
from an FPC directory

>> IIRC, you said yourself you are limiting the program to Windows,
>> so don't see how cross platform considerations come into it..
>
> The FPDocManager has no platform dependencies. The only external
> dependency currently is the fpcdocs Makefile, which should be
> replaced by fpdoc projects, supplied and maintained by the FPC/fpdoc
> people.

Then why is fpdocmanager in Lazarus, not in FPC - I thought fpcdocs
should be maintainable with FPC only without requirement for Lazarus,
but I might be mistaken...
Do the current fpdoc toolset maintainers agree with FPDocmanager
projects replacing makefiles? And when will this replacement happen?

I've been fighting with the existing fpdoc system, that's why I decided
to try fpdocmanager... having an idea which way things will go will
definitely help.

Thanks,
Reinier