[Lazarus] Unicode on Windows

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Mon Apr 9 19:41:39 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jürgen Hestermann
<juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:
> Marcos Douglas schrieb:
>
>> For the Lazarus sources yes, but not for RTL.
>> I still think about:
>> DirectoryExists or DirectoryExistsUTF8
>> ForceDirectoriesUTF8 or ForceDirectories
>> Pos or UTF8Pos
>> etc
>> Depends what part of code you are...
>

> Yes, it's a real pain. I once used the Windows API function "CopyFile" and
> because I knew that this API function uses Ansi coding I prepared my code
> like this. But after some months my program suddenly crashed because someone
> named a file my program reads with german umlauts. I then discovered that a
> CopyFile function exists within the LCL too! Who did build this trap?

Because this I do not like use functions/procedures without a prefix
or unit (as a prefix).
IMHO, every function should be used with a prefix (unit or real
prefix)... but this is other discussion. ;-)

> You cannot use the same name for an existing API function and then silently
> convert it to UTF8 in the background (not even mention this on
> http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/lcl/fileutil/copyfile.html ). This
> kind of issue hits me very often.

Do your own functions (like I said above) or use unit.function syntax.

Marcos Douglas