[Lazarus] RE : Development of other revision control

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Apr 12 10:53:50 CEST 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Ludo Brands wrote:

>> IIUC, the SVN package (plugin) lets people use SVN with their
>> Lazarus project, e.g. check in and out his project code from
>> within the IDE. Yes, a developer might be interested in doing
>> more with SVN, but managing his project source code in SVN
>> would be the most important thing, right? IIUC, that's
>> already possible with the SVN component. If I read your mails
>> right, you're actually interested in this part, right?
>>

> What is missing is the functionnality to create a new repository from the
> current project. That would the biggest value add of an integrated version
> control plugin. Explorer plugins like TortoiseSVN don't know what a lazarus
> project is (or any other project) and can only create new repositories from
> a complete directory tree. This means: weeding out unnecessary, non-source
> files from the directory, add whatever third party code needed which is not
> already under version control and then create a repository from the
> directory and check it out again to make it a working copy. The IDE knows
> the project and its dependencies and could make this step very easy for the
> user.
>
> Adding or deleting a file to/from a project and doing the same in the
> repository would also be a logical extension.

And this is the reason I disabled version control in Delphi.

I often do a rename of a file, and then this mechanism bites you in the leg more than
it helps.

If subversion (or whatever) automatisms are added, please make sure the behaviour
can be fine-tuned to a high degree. I agree that the initial repository
setup is a very good thing, but for the rest I prefer that the IDE does not try
to be too smart.

Michael.