[Lazarus] Development of other revision control

Dawson abu_joseph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 17:12:24 CEST 2012

Hi Reinier,

(wrote on Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012) ...

thanks for all your specific and encouraging comments, and taking the
time to comment even though you are quite busy right now. I've looked at
the link you suggested, it looks helpful.

In order to try to get lazsvnpkg to do something for me, I might just
set up an SVN server that I can have full control over on my printer
sharing box at home (it's not doing too much else). I'll also play with
the basic gui based SCM's such as TortoiseSVN (on my wife's windows box,
I'm using a mac) just to get familiar with what others have done.

Reinier, thanks again for all your help and suggestions

==============

Hi Hans-Peter,

(who wrote on Sat, 14 Apr 2012)

SNIP ...

> The IDE should allow to put a
> project under control of a VCS, and then puts all related files and
> directories (source, config...) under version conrol (or removes them
> again, when deleted or moved).

Yes, I also think all these standard operations should be able to be
handled by the IDE in Lazarus.

> Remains branch management and switching revisions. This IMO should be
> better done outside the IDE, i.e. when the IDE is closed, so that the
> user doesn't have to answer dialog boxes about files changed on disk,
> and no changes can get lost on the files, which have not yet been saved
> by the IDE.

Yes, I think these "less than trivial operations" would be better
handled "outside of the box".

Hans-Peter, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Dawson (aka abudeveloper)