[Lazarus] TProcess, UTF8, Windows

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 07:43:22 CEST 2012

On Monday 16 April 2012 00:04:41 Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:58:24 +0200
>
> Martin Schreiber <mse00000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And probably Mattias is wrong if he thinks "String" in FPC trunk does not
> > enforce encoding if I understood correctly.
>
> "string" enforces an 8-bit type.
> It does not enforce a specific codepage like utf8string. At least under
> Linux.

"String" = "AnsiString(CP_APC)", quote:
"
Martin:
> And if you use "String" (= AnsiString(CP_ACP) if my assumption about current
> FPC trunk is correct) it forces it to the 8bit system encoding. The only
> stringtype which does not enforce encoding is "RawByteString".
> All "AFAIK" of course. ;-)

Marco:
That's correct.
"

> Assign a CP_UTF8 and the string becomes CP_UTF8, assign a CP_ACP and it
> becomes CP_ACP, assign a CP_UTF16 and it becomes DefaultSystemCodePage.
> I have not tested under Windows.

On most Linux CP_ACP is utf-8, on most Windows it is not utf-8.

> Probably we should wait until the dust has settled before drawing
> conclusions.

We wait since several months. Anyway, as I wrote on lazarusforum.de, in the
end it probably will be exactly like Delphi because Delphi compatibility has
priority, maybe because several FPC core devels professionally work with
Delphi.

http://www.lazarusforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5855

Martin