[Lazarus] Strip debug info

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Apr 29 11:21:24 CEST 2012

Am 29.04.2012 11:12, schrieb Jürgen Hestermann:
> Florian Klämpfl schrieb:
>> What's the problem with the .exe size when compiling with debug info? If
>> one compiles with debug settings, one usually wants to have the debug
>> info? If not, don't use debug settings.
>
> Well, the problem is the size of the exe file. ;-)
> When I am working on a project I usually want to generate debug
> information for debugging.
> But when I give the generated file to someone else I surely do not need
> this information in the exe file anymore.
> So why should I be forced to search for ways to delete this information
> from the exe if there could be a way to avoid this hassle?

There is no need to search for ways to delete this information, you need
only a proper workflow: exes compiled for distribution shall be compiled
with release settings which means:
- no debug info
- symbols fully stripped
- full optimization (which would make debugging harder)
- asserts ignored
- custom debug code ignored
- ...
Using debug and release settings is something very basic when working on
software being deployed to others.