[Lazarus] Strip debug info

Richard Mace richard at shrinkyourbills.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 07:30:11 CEST 2012

On 30 April 2012 04:49, Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I am personally ambivalent about the default state of -Xg switch,
> I'd like to point out another use case where it matters:
> compiling on Windows on slow machine with antivirus installed.
>
> When I tried to persuade my students to switch to Lazarus from Delphi,
> I've got many complaints about Lazarus being too slow.
> About a third of these complaints were fixed by either excluding
> Lazarus directory from AV's monitoring list, or turning -Xg on.

Sorry, I might have missed this, but what would be the main disadvantage
for a newbie of having the -Xg switch on at default.
I don't really understand about the difference between having the debug
info internal to the .exe or external, and I am guessing that the majority
of people coming to Lazarus won't either. I just think the more people will
be complaining about the default size of the .exe as apposed to having the
debug info stored externally, unless I am really missing the point (quite
possibly).

Richard