[Lazarus] Strip debug info

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Mon Apr 30 19:43:16 CEST 2012

On Monday, April 30, 2012 09:37 Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 04/29/2012 12:09 PM, Martin wrote:
>> .... Then you have an outdated debug info file,
> The "release" build could just delete this file (provided it's there
> where a corresponding  "debug" build would create it).

> -Michael

Please  don't  oversimplify  a  release  build.  At  least  one  other
difference  is  smart  linking.  You  shouldn't  smart  link for debug
purposes,  but it would be a good idea to smart link for release. Also
optimizations  should  be turned of for debug while they should (or at
least could) be enabled for release.

It  helps  to  have  several  checks (overflow, range, etc.) on during
debug too, but not for release.

It is (or should) not simply (be) a matter of debug info.

In  that  light  I find the big exe even good as it gets users to find
out  why  and  think about debug/release builds. If they simply ship a
"debug"  exe  (without  actual  debug  info) they might still find bad
things  like  slow  performance  etc, which might be caused by enabled
checks and/or missing optimizations.

I  think  you  have  to  understand the full package to properly build
release  ready  software.  And  a  far too huge size might be the best
indicator that something isn't right yet :-)

--
Best Regards,
Andreas