[Lazarus] Translations / Localizations for controls at design time

Maxim Ganetsky ganmax at narod.ru
Wed Aug 1 01:07:55 CEST 2012

01.08.2012 2:40, Graeme Geldenhuys пишет:
> On 31 July 2012 22:41, Maxim Ganetsky <ganmax at narod.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Lazarus already has automatic form translation facilities. See Project
>> Options -> i18n. Your .po files will be updated automatically when you will
>> change your forms.
>
> Creating the resource string constants is not the problem. Lazarus
> does what is already very easy to do manually.
> Plus, Lazarus gives automated resource string constant names (eg:
> TForm1.Button1.Caption) - those tend to be pretty horrible, compared
> to what I use (eg: rsAccountingTransactionDate), and with my naming it
> will have some meaning to the translator in their PO Editor tool.
>
> Also, using that Lazarus automated i18n feature, how do you reuse
> common resource string constants. Lazarus probably isn't going to
> reuse any - thus creating lots and lots of duplicate translations for
> the translator. That sucks for the poor translator. Just look at the
> Lazarus IDE to see how much duplication exists for translators.

Reusing string constants is manual process. In my experience in most
cases constants reusing is not desirable.

Besides, I fail to see how can original poster's proposal significantly
save your time in comparison with manual resourcestring assignments
(note that IDE will maintain them automatically too).

Maybe some designer and/or CodeTools helpers can be created to save some
typing when assigning resourcestrings to captions.

--
Best regards,
  Maxim Ganetsky                  mailto:ganmax at narod.ru