[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:31:47 CEST 2012

On 2-8-2012 22:55, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Reinier Olislagers schrieb:
>
>> Is it so strange to get rid of this platform that hasn't been supported
>> for ages?
>
> Just a thought (or some more):
>
> Is it a plus to demonstrate all the many platforms supported by Lazarus,
> in 1.0, including Win9x?
>
> How does it look when (at the same time) support for Win9x is announced
> to be dropped from future versions?
<aside>What about not announcing win98 at all and wait for the
response</aside>
It would look like:
a. an idiotic decision if there is a large number of Win9x users
b. a decision that is way overdue if there is a small number
c. something that would go unnoticed if the number is even smaller

> We could wait for user feedback on Win9x support, after 1.0 has been
> recognized and rated by the world outside this forum.
I'd think we'd have to weigh effort to support it against use. In my
opinion, the problems with unicode, missing APIs are enough even though
I had just one patch that was refused due to 9x compatibility problems

Yes, usage numbers would indeed help in making that decision... and
there would be some broad consensus about the costs vs the benefits
amongst the devs.

> I'm using a Win98 VM for mail, because it is so damn small and easy to
> backup. Other people may continue to use such VMs, for the same reasons,
> and may be happy with a current Lazarus version supporting it.
Yes, or they may be perfectly happy with a certain fixed previous
version to maintain their legacy software.

> Except for the license issue such a small VM were nice for a live CD,
> with pre-installed Lazarus, for testing by everybody. Does somebody have
> a similar Linux VM, that would allow for such a live CD?
Are you seriously asking this question? Just start hacking on e.g.
Knoppix, whatever and make it. There's already a VM out there with
Lazarus on it and an Android cross compiler. See the forum.

Regards,
Reinier