[Lazarus] Lazarus and Free Pascal downloads plummeting on SourceForge

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:28:53 CEST 2012

Hi Everybody,

Lets just face the facts.... Such download statics are just "eye
candy" for SourceForge. There is no way you can take those as a
reliable source of information. It's like Microsoft trying to compare
Windows installs (actually copies shipped to OEM's) to Linux Install.
Nobody counts torrent downloads of Linux, nobody counts the multiple
of CD's I created and shared with my friends, nobody counted the
multiple times I installed a CD even though I only downloaded it once,
etc...

The same applies to FPC and Lazarus projects. You can install from
multiple locations: application repositories of Linux distros,
official downloaded archives, unofficial daily build archive, direct
checkouts from the repository, the fact that linux downloads tend to
be lots of little archives and the Windows version one big archive etc
etc.

So there you have it - those "statistics" are useless!!!

  - Graeme -