[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Aug 3 11:33:09 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 09:43:55AM +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > Ehmm.. I'm trying to contain myself, but WHY does Lazarus 1 and 1+ even
> > support Win9x/ME anymore?
>
> Because not everybody feels the need to "fix" what isn't broken.

That is a very strange argument when asking for a NEW version of a development
toolchain :_)

> Why must we always pay the Microsoft-tax simply because Microsoft thinks
> there latest crapware is better that the previous one - and we all know
> that isn't always true (Vista anyone?).

But that doesn't apply to the win9x set. IMHO the only good reason to run
win9x is having significantly less than 512MB memory.

win2000 could run decently with 192MB, but is already deprecated (and was
always expensive).  XP could run with 256MB, but barely, and the
requirements due to updates have increased over time.  384MB might be
doable, but I haven't tried in ages.

> And to answer your earlier question, our clients put together has over
> 2000+ PC's still running Win98. Would you like to tell them they must
> all instantly upgrade (and pay a fortune) when those systems still run
> perfectly for there purpose?

No. I would sell them an old version.

And ask them what their plans are before making assumption. For all that you
know they plan to dump them in the bin next month.  It has already been
pointed out that we are already not exactly the last group or company that
cut win9x support, so it can barely come as an surprise.

> Asking Microsoft, they will obviously tell you NOBODY is still using
> Win95 or Win98 - but in reality it is quite different.

I haven't seen one in years that was not attached/embedded in machinery.
(and even that is getting rare)

Hardware speced for/delivered with win9x is nineish years old.