[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:23:37 CEST 2012

On 03.08.2012 17:00, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:38:14PM +0200, Sven Barth wrote:
>>>
>>> win2000 could run decently with 192MB, but is already deprecated (and was
>>> always expensive).  XP could run with 256MB, but barely, and the
>>> requirements due to updates have increased over time.  384MB might be
>>> doable, but I haven't tried in ages.
>>
>> If I'd not run Linux on such a machine I'd prefer to use ReactOS (even
>> if it would crash every now and then) before going near a 9x. :)
>
> Depends on if your source of machinery is homogenous (e.g. from some
> enterprise range), or mis match.
>
> I don't know much _practical_ about reactos, but I can imagine driver issues
> on all sides.

As they are targetting binary compatibility with (currently) Windows
2003 you "just" need to get XP/2003 drivers. Older drivers might work as
well (For example I've successfully installed XP drivers for a WebCam on
Windows 7, so the NT kernel can handle older drivers quite a bit ;) )

Nevertheless I'm regularily reading their mailing lists and forums and
test a trunk version now and then. Especially to see whether Free Pascal
and Lazarus run (which they do ;) ).

Also it's magnificient to see a NT based OS booting so lighting fast
even on a VM :D (I myself have not yet tried it on hardware, but others
have and it's getting more stable by the week)

Regards,
Sven