[Lazarus] RE : Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 23:28:12 CEST 2012

Ludo Brands schrieb:
>> What do we do with Lazarus though?
>> At least the 1.0 code base would presumably need Win9x support.
>>
>> We could e.g. branch it off and have a separate Win9x architecture
>> branch based on the (to be created) Win9x branch off FPC trunk in
>> time for 1.2? Or is there a much smarter solution?
>
> What about a "new" win9x LCL target. Just clone the win32 target and let it
> live its own life and stop dragging the win32 LCL down.

What would that mean in detail?

A Win9x platform, to be implemented/supported by FPC.
Limited (frozen) system API, 32 bit only, using AnsiStrings natively.

A Lazarus Win9x widgetset, also using AnsiStrings in the components.

Perhaps the biggest difference would be the default and library string
type, which can stay UTF-8 for Win9x and Linux, in contrast to UTF-16
for Win32 (and Mac?). This again would encourage two flavors of the RTL,
FCL and LCL.

This looks to me more than a decision about the future of the LCL
itself, and the RTL/FCL, which may be splitted into UTF-8 and UTF-16
versions.

DoDi