[Lazarus] (no subject)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Aug 4 23:05:49 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 09:24:54PM +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> >> The restriction is an *international* agreement, not limited to
> >> SourceForge or the USA.
> >
> > What restriction?
>
> See the Wassenaar Arrangement <wassenaar.org>, Cat. 5.D.2 (encryption
> software), and the participating states.

That is mostly paper, see the FAQ:

---
> How are regulations on export controls implemented in the WA?

Export controls are implemented by each individual WA Participating State.
Although the scope of export controls in Participating States is determined
by WA lists, practical implementation varies from country to country in
accordance with national procedures.
---

Afaik the only state that enforces such measures on old encryption, for
which code has been been widely available for 20 years, is the USA.

Btw, while I'm uncomfortable with the SF.NET situation, I don't like rash
matters like switching providers. At least sf.net has been long time stable.

It could be a good reason to have at least one separate mirror somewhere to
defang the biggest problems, not need to change everything.