[Lazarus] LCL not accessible for blind users

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 08:31:09 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Luciano de Souza <luchyanus at gmail.com> wrote:
> LCL applications can't be used by blind users.

That's a very generic statement and also only a half-truth. Many basic
controls will work out of the box for accessibility, although many
won't. I already improved a the accessibility of LCL-Carbon and am
also working in the accessibility of LCL-CustomDrawn-X11 and
LCL-CustomDrawn-Cocoa.

Also this discussion is high platform specific: Which operating system
are you talking about?

> Recently, I heard about a blind girls who couldn't access a desktop
> application. The developer makes an application wich returns a database
> query in a picture not readable for screen readers. The company doesn't have
> patience to search for another occupation for her. The consequence is that
> she will probably laid off.
> I don't know if the application was writen in Lazarus.

Even if it were written in Lazarus, the problem in this specific case
is not of Lazarus, but of the programer that wrote the program. It is
a design flaw in the program which is unrelated to the library
utilized to write it, since pictures by definition are not accessible
without an alternative text.

> And why is not LCL accessible?

Just the same answer as for every other questions of the kind: Why
doesn't the LCL support feature Y?
Answer: Because there is no developer which contributed code to
implement feature Y.

> So my ask is: does LCL handle this event?

No, but patches to support it are welcome.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho