[Lazarus] Right tool for the job?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 12:29:49 CEST 2012

On 8 August 2012 09:31, Chavoux Luyt <chavoux at gmail.com> wrote:
> That is why I was not so sure about its use on Linux (especially for 3D).

That's where FPC shines! FPC is very good at cross-platform support. I
primarily code with the fpGUI toolkit, and every single fpGUI based
project I work on doesn't have a single IFDEF Windows/Linux in the
application code.  My days with Borland Kylix 3 was very different. :)

> I just want to confirm that SDL bindings you talk about is not the same as
> the JEDI SDL tools? Or does the JEDI SDL components make use of these
> existing bindings?

I'm not 100% sure (so don't quote me on it), but I think the original
SDL bindings included with FPC, came from the JEDI SDL project. Since
then I think each has been maintained on their own. The nice thing
about SDL is that it supports various backends (Linux Framebuffer,
X11, OpenGL etc), so if one doesn't exist, it could use the others.
SDL also has a reference implementation of a software renderer as
standard, and can use hardware acceleration when available.

  - Graeme -