[Lazarus] debugger fails on freebsd x86_64

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Sun Aug 12 17:11:32 CEST 2012

Am Sonntag, den 12.08.2012, 00:51 +0100 schrieb Martin:
> On 11/08/2012 22:55, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 09.08.2012, 17:35 -0500 schrieb Alonso Cárdenas
> > Márquez:
> >> Please, could you install devel/gdb from ports? It could work with
> >> newest version of gdb (7.4.1)
> >>
> >> Don't forget change gdb path to /usr/local/bin/gdb on lazarus
> >> Environment/Options
> > That did the trick, I actually can run programs again, thanks.
> >
> > Purists may say it is at least some sort of irritating having to install
> > another debugger - which never has been so since I use fpc and lazarus
> > -, but I understand that this might be the version responsible
> > developers used because it was just there on their systems.
> >
> > Will the systems GDB in FreeBSD 9.0 be supported later or is the minimal
> > version of gdb a fact that shoulf be mentioned in some README or the
> > wiki or so?
> >

> I don't know what exactly is going wrong on the Freebsd gdb. And I
> havent used FreeBSD in a long time...
>
> Where did he 6.1 debugger come from? Lazarus does not include GDB except
> on windows (afaik).

It's what comes with the system by default. Part of the OS.

> I am surprised that Freebsd 9 should by default have such an old GDB.

I'm used to it. It has been some versions back ever since. Or the other
way round, FreeBSD is a bit conservative and Linux adopts any new (and
maybe buggy) version very early. ;)

> Also, there must be something different about that GDB, since on Windows
> GDB 5.2 does work....

Running a program and triggering gdb on exception has worked for me all
the time until now. All the time is since ... um, I think 2001 or so,
with fpc 1.9.2. Real debugging - stepping through code, inspecting vars
- has worked only sometimes and partly. So that's no surprise regarding
FreeBSD.

But since I avoid having to debug I primarily need to have a running
program inside lazarus. I wonder if deleting the debugger from the
options would have helped either, I'll test later.

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>