[Lazarus] OT Re: Please remove Arabic language from the release version

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 20:45:30 CEST 2012

Sven Barth schrieb:
> On 12.08.2012 12:35, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>> Am 2012-08-12 03:28, schrieb Avishai:
>>> I couldn't agree with you more about English :)  But it seems like the
>>> whole world wants to learn English (or American which is a completely
>>> different language).  Very strange, but such is life.  I have one foot
>>> in the West and one foot in the Middle East.
>>>
>> What could be an alternative?
>
> One could try to use the language that was planned as an international
> language: Esperanto ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto )
>
> Note: I don't know any Esperanto and so can't tell how easy/hard it is
> to learn.

IMO both Esperanto and Volapük suffer from their mix of European
languages. They may be easy to learn for people with knowledge of
English, French and Spanish, but just these people could communicate
immediately in *these* languages as well.

A long time ago I read an interesting (French) book about automated
translation, containing sample text passages with a mix of French,
German and Russian words. Since the language of the words was easy to
recognize, due to the different character sets, every speaker of such a
language has stepping stones in these texts, which allow to figure out
the meaning of the sentences.

I see no alternative except learning at least two languages, what
results in a feeling for the *different* approaches to using words
(conjugation, declination, composition...) and forming sentences
(grammar). I was confronted with 3 languages very early, i.e.
Schwäbisch, Hochdeutsch and a bit of French, spoken by my parents and
grand parents. Unfortunately English was missing from this mix, and I
still don't like that language (prefer French), due to the different
pronunciation (that damn 'th'). I only got it during a visit in Ireland,
where 'th' frequently is pronounced as 'd'.

When I gave the first home computers to my little brother, he complained
about the English documentation, saying that he had not yet learned all
these strange words at school - after learning English for a couple of
years. I told him that he'll *never* learn these words at school and, oh
wonder, on my next visit I found his annotations in the books, where he
wrote down the translation of all the computing terms. Later on he
agreed that it was easier to read the original (English) documentation,
instead of (often funny) German translations. Learning a language cannot
be done for you, by a teacher, instead everybody has to learn it
himself. Good motivation is required herefore, and mastering an IDE
certainly is such a motivation :-)

DoDi