[Lazarus] RE : RE : language setup/http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22574

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Aug 13 18:06:39 CEST 2012

On 13/08/2012 16:03, Ludo Brands wrote:
> That is what fpcup is currently doing and iirc codetyphon as well. Problem
> is that the format of the XML file is nowhere specified and versions have
> changed several times. Current version is "107". I'm not going to repeat all
> the arguments you all mentioned against managing settings outside the IDE
> and keeping the maintenance to a minimum but these are the same for this
> feature request for 3rd party installers. A command line parameter, once
> defined, is much more stable than an undocumented XML file. As usual, I'm
> willing to make a patch for that provided there is a broad consensus for it.

True you have a point.

Though technically this a 2 issues.
The language needs a visual setup (it already has a command line option)
You need a none visual tool. And I think for that a separate exe (with
no forms or dialogs) may be good. It can use existing code.

Only it needs to be ensured that it is tested regularly. I have that
issue with a testcase I wrote (debugger) that tries to read the options.
Every now and then it breaks, because the environment options
object/unit changed the pre-conditions to create the object.....

This is a further point why I want the language as part of the IDE. It
is far less work to maintain.