[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : languagesetup/http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22574

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Mon Aug 13 18:21:42 CEST 2012

> True you have a point.
>
> Though technically this a 2 issues.
> The language needs a visual setup (it already has a command
> line option) You need a none visual tool. And I think for
> that a separate exe (with
> no forms or dialogs) may be good. It can use existing code.

The command line option overrides the configuration settings, it doesn't
change them.

> Only it needs to be ensured that it is tested regularly. I have that
> issue with a testcase I wrote (debugger) that tries to read
> the options.
> Every now and then it breaks, because the environment options
> object/unit changed the pre-conditions to create the object.....
>
> This is a further point why I want the language as part of
> the IDE. It
> is far less work to maintain.

I agree that it is better to keep -all- the XML stuff inside the IDE because
it is far less work to maintain for everybody. What I proposed is to add a
command line option that would skip the IDE setup screen and take the values
instead from the command line, store the config and (optionally) exit
immediately. As long as the format of the command line values and the format
of the values in the IDE setup screen match, maintenance should be minimal
and if the environment options object/unit changes, it will affect the setup
screen and command options in the same way.

Ludo