[Lazarus] language setup / http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22574

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:40:30 CEST 2012

On 14-8-2012 23:12, Martin wrote:
> On 14/08/2012 21:29, Avishai wrote:
>> I haven't seen what you are working on so I'm not sure if what I say
>> is relevant.  Often I am logged into my Hebrew account and sometime my
>> English account.  When I first tried to install Lazarus, I was in
>> Hebrew, so Lazarus started in Hebrew.  I had too much trouble trying
>> to figure out the menus and had to uninstall it, switch to English
>> login, and reinstall it.  Lazarus is not alone in this practice of
>> "automatic" install.  In my opinion, "automatic" is a very bad choice.
>>
> At the moment, I am not working at it.
>
> It is generally agreed that this should be improved. Most likely by
> prompting the user, when he runs Lazarus for the very first time.
> (existing users/upgrades will not be prompted, as they likely already
> made there choice.)
>
> However, it is impossible to do all that for the next release.
> So the question is, what, if anything can be done within a couple of
> days? And how can it be done.
I wouldn't change things for the 1.0 release (and honestly, haven't even
thought about that). Any changes can go in trunk as far as I am
concerned - better some more time to think things over, and make sure
things work correctly.

In the time up to now, while there have been complaints about language
translations being incomplete or unnecessary, much more than complaints
that it is impossible to switch languages back to English.

> There are suggestions. BUT: are hey really better.
>
> Would it be better, for all users to start in English? Even if there is
> a really good translation? Some people can not ask questions in the
> English forums, due to lack of English experience. WIll it be good to
> force them into an Englis IDE, or would they prefer it in their native
> language?
See my opinion in earlier posts...