[Lazarus] Lazarus shortcuts conflict with windows shortcuts

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:19:20 CEST 2012

On 15-8-2012 11:46, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> Am 2012-08-15 11:17, schrieb Mattias Gaertner:
>> The IDE does not reset configs on itself. Maybe the installer does?
> I think the settings are not reset after each update. But I had several
> situations where I got an startup error message after a certain upgrade
> which I could only get rid of by renaming the path "C:\Dokumente und
> Einstellungen\Jürgen\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\lazarus"
> (which I was not even aware of that it exists and that it holds my
> settings). Afterwards all settings were gone. I had to do this on
> multiple machines.
So you removed your settings directory and were surprised your settings
were gone???
Saving settings in c:\documents and settings\<username>\... somewhere is
the standard location for Windows (XP?) settings files, so it wasn't
surprising to me that they were stored there.

Apart from that, perhaps the release notes mentioned (see e.g.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Category:Release_Notes) you had to
change some settings?

> When updating I am also asked whether
> "D:\Programme\lazarus\environmentoptions.xml" (why is this file located
> in the installation directory?) should be updated.
Because it is the fallback file that will contain settings if you
haven't specified any.
(Secondary config path versus primary config path)

I was under the
> impression that this file holds all my settings but only recently found
> out the editor settings are in "C:\Dokumente und
> Einstellungen\<user>\Lokale
> Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\lazarus\editoroptions.xml". What a
> nighmare of scattered settings. In "C:\Dokumente und
> Einstellungen\<user>\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\lazarus" a
> file environmentoptions.xml exists too. Which one is used? There are 11
> XML files in this directory. Are they all config files? Are other
> (non-XML files) configure something? This all is something the user
> should not bother about. I find it way too confusing. There should be
> only one config file with paths (which may be different on different
> machines) and one for *all* settings regarding Lazarus. But this seems
> to have evolved over time and cannot be changed back now.

Having multiple files does make it much easier to replace some of them
(e.g. editoroptions). As discussed in this and other threads, that makes
it useful for institutional use where some files can be replaced/updated
by centrally standardized files.

If you think these files are confusing and don't want have anything to
do with them, why is the number of files a problem? They're all stuck in
the config directory anyway...

As far as I know, all your settings are in that settings directory, yes,
but perhaps somebody will correct me.

Finally, you can edit your configs via Tools/Options... so why worry
about the amount of files etc?