[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 15:24:14 CEST 2012

On 19-8-2012 15:17, Martin wrote:
> On 19/08/2012 14:02, Maxim Ganetsky wrote:
>>
>> This "overlapping" is made on purpose. The idea behind Initial Setup
>> is exactly to emphasize the most important options to unexperienced
>> users, because Options dialog has heaps of options which can cause
>> confusion.

While I see your point, now the user gets 2 different visualisations of
the same settings. I'd prefer a single layout so the user starts to
recognize things. The user will probably see the complicated options
menu sooner or later anyway - keeping him away from hit by providing a
pseudo options screen may increase the total confusion...

I think Martin's idea about highlighting errors or a "faulty settings"
filter will not take away that complexity completely, but help steer the
user to fixing serious problems first.

> If you want to indicate pages with errors in the options, then do so in
> the tree.
>
> Either highlight/color the tree nodes. Or add a top-level node "Faulty
> Settings" (only shown, if child-nodes)
> I am for the highlight/color.
Yep. It shows the user a single view of the options, and helps him learn
to navigate the options hierarchy.

> Also, a better Idea is to have setting-modes: Normal / Advanced
> Then in normal, there would be less settings.
Agreed.