[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Aug 19 16:12:39 CEST 2012

On 19/08/2012 14:48, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 19-8-2012 15:40, Martin wrote:
>> On 19/08/2012 14:24, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> While I see your point, now the user gets 2 different visualisations of
>>> the same settings. I'd prefer a single layout so the user starts to
>>> recognize things. The user will probably see the complicated options
>>> menu sooner or later anyway - keeping him away from hit by providing a
>>> pseudo options screen may increase the total confusion...
>> The 2 dialogs are different things.
>> - The setup is a wizard-like dialog
>> - The options is a normal direct access to all options dialog
>>
>> There are other applications, with have a wizard and and option page.
>>
>> Often though the wizard is part of the installer. But that makes no
>> difference, it still holds that the wizard gathers the same info, that
>> is also in the option dialog.
>>

>> I am very much in favour of keeping both. And each with the layout it
>> currently has.
> I do see your point; with reference to my earlier arguments I just think
> the wizard-like functionality should be implemented in a different way
> (e.g. your basic - versus advanced - options dialog with highlighting
> incorrect settings).
>
> Let's agree to disagree ;)

Maybe, but maybe not so fast. WE need at least to agree, what we
disagree about.

If the setup is kept as it. That does not mean that the options can not
be improved. They very much still should be improved.

Only merging the setup into the options is not the way to go. Not even
as afirst step.
- Adding normal/advanced to the options is a good way.
- Highlighting pages with errors is also a way (and not limited to the
setup part)

Adding a way (either in the menu, or button in the options) to re-run
the setup is also an idea.

Also the installer should create a start-menu entry to  start Lazarus in
setup mode. That will come, if language is added to setup. It allows to
recover a screwed up config.
For this one could also add, to reset al window positions to default, or
reset the keymapping... though care must be taken not to add to many things