[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Aug 19 16:53:19 CEST 2012

On 19/08/2012 15:30, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 19-8-2012 16:17, Martin wrote:
>> The "faces" (GUI layout) and the sharing of code are to entirely
>> independent issues. And one should not influence the other.
> Yes, but visual consistency for the user is an argument.
> The setup dialog presents the setup settings differently versus the
> options dialogs: different category names, different use of tabs versus,
> actually AFAIR the screen layout is very different.
Well its wizard versus option. This is not uncommon...

However, if the actual name of an option, does differ, then maybe the
name should be corrected. That is independent of merging the two.

> This difference means that the user won't be able to apply his knowledge
> about where the options are, how they/their categories are named, to the
> options dialog.
As for the option categories.

If they can be named better in either of the 2 forms, then make suggestions.

Still yes there will be a difference. The setup has only a few selected
settings, so it can group them different. That can not be done in the
options, because the options should show ALL settings.

The proposed merge (picture) added a 2nd set of categories (copied from
the setup) to the option.
That means, that in the option, one and the same setting will then be
accessible via 2 different ways. That is the most confusing concept of
them all.

> The counter argument is of course that it is a wizard, designed to
> simplify things for the user.
> Well, as a thought experiment, try cutting down the options dialog until
> you only have the settings currently in the setup dialog.
>
> Then apply the visual indicators (red icon etc) as discussed.
>
> What do you get? Setup dialog functionality with (mostly) the visual
> layout of the options dialog.
> Users can quickly fix their problems, and they get used to the relative
> positions/feel of the options dialog.

Then the setup has a tree like this

Environment
   Files
Debugger
   General

instead of one page for each setting. I doubt that is helpful.

The idea of cutting them down, includes the ability to be able to
display them in a less compact (and therefore different) way.

In the option dialog the amount of settings does not allow for that.
In the setup, it is possible.

And IMHO by making this change in setup, the setup becomes easier to use.

Since the change can not be applied to the options, I see 3 ways only:
- current / difference
- setup will be putting more on each page, become harder to use, but
looks more like options
- we try to change the option to be like the setup, less settings per
page (1 or 2 maximum) . This will mean to have 10 or more times as many
pages/entries in the tree.

As I said already, for people who can't find the settings, havwe a "run
wizard" button (next to the help button, so always available)

That solves the issue too.