[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:12:25 CEST 2012

On 19-8-2012 16:58, Martin wrote:
> On 19/08/2012 15:42, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> That makes it (to me) impossible to have a setup-like access to it.
>> Then why not use the basic (vs advanced) options screen. Presumably the
>> basic screen would group those elements anyway?
>>

> Because it hasn't been implemented
Then we can stop the entire discussion right now as it's all about
changes that haven't been implemented.

> The basic would probably not put fpc and make on different pages though
> (which the setup does).
>
> The easiest way to implement it (without duplicating everything) is to
> filter out certain options (visible := false), and, or hide some pages
> completly.
Yes, or disable (gray out) those controls so they won't be editable but
will be visible.
Although this does clutter up the GUI, it does show the user where
everything is.

> I am not sure, if re-grouping options into new pages, will be a good idea.
> - hard to implement, unless by copy and paste
Could be.
Surely maintenance of basic+advanced must be easier than maintaining
setup+options?

> - not helping users, if they go from one to the other, and nothing is
> where it was.
Well yes. How do you think users feel now between setup<>options? The
difference between basic<>advanced will be less due to identical layout
f screen.
Also see my gray out idea.

> Note: the basic/advanced must then also be supported by packages (e.g.
> Jedi)
Or packages that don't implement basic won't be showed in the basic
options screen.