[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:50:44 CEST 2012

On 19-8-2012 17:43, Martin wrote:
> On 19/08/2012 16:17, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> the option dialog (even in a none advanced mode) will always have more
> options than the setup. So it needs different grouping.
>
> - The setup is easiest to understand, with the one page per setting.
> - The Option just can not do one page per setting.
>
> How to solve that?

Just don't do one "page" per setting.

Use visual indicators, such as red text, icons, red background, a
descriptive text on the top right that says where the problem is.
Use hints/tooltips to indicate what an option is for.
Use a "Next error" button on the bottom right if there are errors. On
pressing, expand the relevant treeview, move focus to problematic control.

Accept that users will sooner or later see the "big" (advanced or
whatever) options screen anyway and let them get used to a similar layout.

>>> Since the change can not be applied to the options, I see 3 ways only:
>>> - current / difference
>> You mean leave things a is?
> Yes, in the context of GUI design setup vs option
>
> This does not block normal, advanced or other improvements
Then I understood corretly.

>>> - setup will be putting more on each page, become harder to use, but
>>> looks more like options
>> This is the way things seem to be going...
> Not following.
Oh I must have misunderstood. I interpreted it as there becoming more
settings to check (now debugger, tomorrow language... etc), not more on
each page. Never mind.