[Lazarus] GTK2: Drag files to other applications (to the file manager, Thunar, Nautilus, etc)

Bernd prof7bit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:31:31 CEST 2012

2012/8/21 Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:
> Bernd schrieb:
>

>> The widgetset *is* the platform! (at least as far as file dragging is
>> concerned, no need to access any other API)
>

> This is not correct, because dragging is not restricted to work only between
> controls of the same widgetset.

I'm curious: what makes you believe that such popular and mature
toolkits like GTK2 (or Qt4) would not be able to use the correct
underlying platform protocols when implementing such elementary things
as copy/paste/drag/drop? According to the documentation GTK2 when run
on xorg will make use of XDND and when GTK2 is run on windows it will
use the appropriate windows api to provide this functionality. If you
were a GTK2 core developer wouldn't you have implemented it the same
way too? What makes you think they didn't? And I would be very
surprised if Qt would not have similar capabilities (without looking
into the Qt documentation I simply take it for granted that
inter-application drag/drop API also exists in Qt4 and that they of
course implemented it in such a way that it actually works).