[Lazarus] My Lazarus Dream: Cross Compile Linux64 -> Linux32 on Ubuntu 12.04

Patrick Chevalley pchevalley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:32:53 CEST 2012

I also have this problem since I upgrade Ubuntu to 12.04, it used to
work fine with all the previous version.
The problem is because of the new multiarch system used by Ubuntu
12.04 you cannot install an i386-dev package on a x86_64 system.

This is why in the solution given by Dibo you need this tricky part:
cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
sudo ln -s libcairo.so.2 libcairo.so

Which will be normally solved by apt-get install libcairo2-dev:i386 .
But if you try that he want to remove half of your system because some
file are common with the x86_64 version of  libcairo2-dev.

I personally solve the problem by running a i386 virtual machine.

Patrick