[Lazarus] Policy regarding HTML messages

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 01:29:06 CEST 2012

On 26/08/12 00:10, Martin wrote:

> IMHO that rule should be seen as an ancient relict (so long as mails are

* HTML emails add no "extra" to a conversation. Plain text does the job
perfectly.

* Multi-part mails just take up more space. Internet bandwidth and disk
space.

* Even setting your email client (I use Mozilla Thunderbird) to prefer
plain text in a multi-part message, the HTML part shows up as an
attachment. A huge annoyance for me when I search for important message
that had valid (read "real") attachments.

* Not all HTML message are equal. Mozilla Thunderbird tends to generate
ok HTML, but other email clients like Outlook etc create the most
hideous and verbose HTML code ever seen!

* HTML is plain text obfuscation

* Multi-part HTML messages mess with the various mailing list archives.
Some try and strip the HTML part, others don't etc.

I can go on...

G.