[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Aug 27 15:36:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 08/24/2012 10:36 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> I read that as that there will be ref counted objects, not that all objects
>> will be ref counted per se. --
>
> Ok, but if there are reef-counted objects what is the point in not using them

Because you may suddenly cause bugs in code that was previously not there.

Using ref. counted objects requires that you respect certain rules.
(for instance, do not use untyped pointers).

If your code does not respect these rules, you may find that your program
will not work any more.

I switched from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE. One of the things that no longer
worked, were strings. It took us up to 8 months after the initial release of
our Delphi XE-compiled program to get rid of all bugs. And we had to revert
in many places to explicitly using ansistrings.

So for all those people shouting for a new string type: be warned that there
may be a lot of side effects...

Michael.