[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 11:56:43 CEST 2012

On 29/08/12 10:07, Leslie Kaye wrote:

> I think that this has been the "intention" of the Professional Version
> for many years else there would be no incentive to buy the Enterprise
> and above versions would there??

In the days of Borland, there was a clear separation between the
Personal, Professional and Enterprise. The separation was based on what
you get out-of-the-box, but it didn't force an artificial limitation on
what you can do with each of those products.

eg:
   Personal: BDE came out of the box.
   Professional: Same as Personal, plus C/S support and select
                 few DB drivers.
   Enterprise: Same as Professional, plus Midas (n-tier), Web Development
               tools, CORBA, WebServices, UML and more DB drivers etc.

Those features were all developed and included by Borland.

In each of those products, you could implement your own C/S database
code, or n-tier code, or install 3rd party components like Direct Oracle
Access etc to give you that functionality. It would simply cost you your
time and effort to implement such things yourself.

But now - and this is the big gripe most developers have - Embarcadero
is telling developers what software they may and may not develop with
Delphi. This is absolutely ridiculous, and I think probably illegal in
many countries.

Either way, the future of Delphi seem pretty bleak to me. It seems there
are too many "excellent" alternatives for Delphi to still make Delphi a
viable money making machine. Developers are leaving Delphi in droves [if
they haven't done so already].

Regards,
   - Graeme -