[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Aug 29 12:21:35 CEST 2012

To me all this seems like a great idea and I am enlightened to see that
you already invested some work on that behalf.

Re-thinking the concept of (Unicode enabled) Strings in that light would
allow for another idea of mine, I expressed some months ago. I think the
different strings types should be a hierarchy of increasingly
specialized classes.

On top, there is a very universal string that allows for true dynamical
character encoding (code and size).

Derived from same specialized types are provided (and can be created by
the user) that e.g. define a fixed coding.

By that the details of the different string types and the
auto-conversion is strictly implementation dependent (and even can be
changed by the user if he feels like re-doing the appropriate classes)
and (if correctly done) independent from the visible behavior.

Compiler magic would allow for the syntax known from Delphi and
(additionally) would allow for creating functions that use the top-level
(fully dynamical encoded) string class and would do conversions only if
necessary. Under the hood the compiler does normal calls to (overloaded)
class functions.

-Michael