[Lazarus] Delphi post-XE3 roadmap

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 12:23:24 CEST 2012

Michael Schnell wrote:

> In the Embarcadero forum someone suggested, that the intention is to
> draw as much money as possible with a castrated XE3 (no IOS and Android
> support), and then drop the Delphi Product line altogether.

Presumably with Embarcadero retaining it for internal development, which
is very much what happened to JPI/TopSpeed when it was swallowed by Clarion.

>> As Lazarus and Delphi become very much different products there is
>> more of a case for developers to use both - as I do.
>
> What now seems very important ia to talk the Delphi Third Party add on
> manufactures into making their products Lazarus-certified. This should
> not bee too much work for them at least with Windows-only versions of
> their stuff.

I wonder whether (whoever runs) Torry could/would help here?

We've not invested in Delphi for some while: we're not prepared to pay
the asking price for something that can be crippled if the registration
servers go down. From that point of view, and allowing for the number of
platforms that FPC/Lazarus supports, I think the issue is whether the
Delphi language and VCL remains compatible with FPC's Object Pascal and
Lazarus's LCL, not vice versa.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk