[Lazarus] Alternatives to WinCE (Windows Mobile)

Tommi Prami groups.tprami at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 10:02:26 CEST 2012

On 31.8.2012 10:31, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Tommi Prami <groups.tprami at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seems that there is not much support/users of WinCE-Lazarus so I was just
>> pondering what are the options on here...
> Why do you think that? LCL-WinCE was always one of the top downloads
> of Lazarus with 10.000+ downloads per release.
>
> And in Lazarus 1.0 it is keeping up the same proportion. It has 10% of
> the total Windows downloads:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/Lazarus%201.0/
>
> Development indeed is slow, but the interface is essentially finished,
> so there is not much to do. Almost everything works.
>
> And besides that the operating system is no longer utilized in
> smartphones, so I lost my personal interrest on it and moved to
> Android development instead (LCL-CustomDrawn-Android). I have to
> invest in platforms which are actively used in my field...
>
> But I still fix major bugs that appear for LCL-WinCE, despite all that.

OK, but still... as seems that Microsoft is not supporting that line of
Windows Mobile for very long... And possibility to support WinRT with
other thatn Microsoft compilers seems not to be possible anyways...
(Slightly off topic but an point to think of...)

We have had very much problems with out WinCE-based project. And
therefore I would like to have better platform and better tools for it.

It is not only the Lazarus and it's WinCE implementation. It is also
about Windows Mobile OS and how they are fitted on Hardware and how
Hardware is made (and designed).

my ex colleague writes apps to the Windows Mobile with C# and .NOT with
using Visual Studio. And He have had huge problems with the Devices,
even using Microsoft solutions to development.

So any ideas how I could use Lazarus to target Windows Mobile or similar
tugged PDA platforms?? Is there any real alternatives. that would be
more than less better choice???

As you state development is Slow and if the this line of M$-operating
systems are going to die sooner or later, I am just looking for the some
other platforms that would be supported in way or other. Or something
like Qt, where is huge amount of people coding ir (not sure how Lazarus
QT-support is made tough...)

-Tee-