[Lazarus] Alternatives to WinCE (Windows Mobile)

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Fri Aug 31 10:44:13 CEST 2012

>> Windows Mobile remains the only operating system on industrial devices,
>>

> ????
>
> I suppose you mean "operating systems that allow for running Lazarus
> programs".
>
> But even there I think that (e.g. ARM CPU based) Linux systems (with and
> without Android candy) not only are existing since a long time, but new
> installations already outnumber Windows Mobile driven embedded devices or
> soon will.
>
> -Michael

I should have been more specific: industrial hand-held devices (PDAs) used
in surveying, data collection, mobile scanners. See this article for
examples: http://ruggedpcreview.com/2_handhelds.html

At the bottom of that article:

"While the vast majority of consumer handhelds are either iPhones or
Android-based smartphones from Motorola, HTC, Samsung or LG and have large
(3.5 to 5.0 inch) displays projected capactive touch screens, industrial
handhelds continue to hold on to an earlier era. The majority of ruggedized
handhelds remain based on Windows CE or Windows Mobile and have resistive
digitizers."

Of course this is changing, but companies have invested heavily in this
kind of hardware and unlike consumer devices that come and go with every
new fad, these industrial devices need to be supported for many years to
come.